Our cardiology specialists diagnose and offer treatments for diseases and abnormalities of the heart. This is offered at SCMH for the convenience of our community.
Our Services Include:
- Cardiac Function Testing – Cardiac Stress testing, both with and without nuclear perfusion imaging, as well as ambulatory heart rhythm and event monitoring are available to outpatients as needed.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation – Cardiac Rehabilitation involves monitored exercise programs designed to strengthen and add endurance for patients who have undergone heart surgery, have suffered a heart attack, or suffer from congestive heart failure.
- Phase I – The Inpatient Phase: This phase takes place in the hospital following heart surgery, a heart attack,or another heart problem. It begins when your condition has become stable. You’ll get help getting out of bed and begin moving around as soon as possible. Start to learn about your heart condition and how to manage it.
- Phase II – This is initiated after the discharge from another hospital. A referral for outpatient cardiac rehab services is required. This program is an important step in resuming a full and active lifestyle. This amount of time depends on the patient’s insurance whether it is 18 or 36 sessions. Some insurance plans have their own guidelines for the amount of sessions they allow for that patient. Phase II offers participant and family education and support concerning cardiovascular disease, risk factor modifications, nutrition, stress management, smoking cessation, and emotional support. The goal of this Phase II program is to build strength and stamina. Phase II also includes individualized, progressive exercise regimen geared towards gradually increasing the participants duration and intensity of exercise. The participant is supervised quite closely by cardiac rehabilitation nurses with the aid of cardiac monitoring. Phase II has specific qualification guidelines into the program.
- Phase III – This program is entered by participants after completion of Phase II or for those who do not qualify for the Phase II program. Phase III continues as long as the participant chooses to attend on a regular basis. Education programs continue and broaden. This patient is usually not monitored as closely as Phase II, however monitoring is available as necessary through the use of telemetry monitoring. Endurance exercise training and behavior changes are emphasized.
- Cardiac rehab also performs outpatient cardiac stress testing. These stress tests can be either standard treadmill stress tests or Nuclear stress tests. We also apply 24-48hr cardiac holter monitors or 7-30 day cardiac event monitors, and elective synchronized cardioversions. We schedule patients for home sleep apnea monitoring set up. These patients come in to get set up for the Alice Night One home sleep apnea device with instructions to complete the study at home during sleep.